FINAL REPORT FOR ROUND THREE GRANTS
Final Report: The effect of hyperbaric oxygen treatment on
large bone defect healing using tissue engineered bone substitutes
Grant Agency: AHDMRT
Total support: $10,000
Investigators:Professor Yin Xiao1 PhD, MDSc, BDSc. Associate Professor of Stem Cells and
Dr. Wei Fan (1) PhD, DDS, BDSc, Postdoctoral Fellow
Dr. Xinzhan Mao (1,2,3) PhD, MD, Orthopedic Surgeon and Visiting Fellow
Dr. Ross Crawford (1) ,2 PhD, BMSc, Professor of Orthopedic Research
Mr. Thor Friis1. Research Assistant
(1) Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of
Technology, Brisbane, Australia;
(2) Orthopaedic Department, Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, Australia;
(3) Orthopaedic Department, The Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University,
Research aims:1) To optimize the conditions of HBO treatment on stem cell/scaffold complexes
for osteogenesis and avoid possible cytotoxic effects of HBO;
2) To use a calvarial defect model in rat to evaluate the effects of HBO on bone
defect healing after the BMSCs/scaffold complex transplantation.
Progress and results:1. Human bone marrow stem cells (hBMSCs) have been successfully isolated
2. 3-dimensional culture of hBMSCs in collagen scaffolds was established and
the osteogenic property of hBMSCs in collagen scaffolds was characterized
using the osteogenic cell culture media.
3. Animal models for the bone defect repair have been created and tested under
4. Tissue samples for the histology assessment have been processed and stained
to observe new bone formation and cell activities under the treatment of HBO.
5. Results: Increased bone formation was detected in the HBO treatment
compared with the normal oxygen treatment controls in histology and micro-
Newly formed bone islands were detectable in the bone defected
treated by HBO after 4 weeks (4w).
Normal 2W HBO 2W Normal 4W HBO 4W
Micro-CT results showed that no new bone formation could be detected in rat skull
defect in the normal oxygen condition in 2 weeks (2w), however, slightly increased
ossification could be found in the HBO treatment. In the 4 weeks after the surgery,
some ossification could be found in the group treated with osteogenic differentiated
hBMSCs in the normal oxygen environment. Interestingly significantly increased
ossification was found in the HBO treatment groups in both un-differentiated
hBMSC and osteogenic-differentiated hBMSC delivery groups.
Research data has been collected for publication.
Budget:A total of $10,000 has been used for the cell cultures, animal experiments, micro-CT,
A research paper will be submitted and the AHDMRT foundation will be informed